Armin Gögele, last updated on June 20, 2023
Email marketing is a subdiscipline of online marketing, specifically of direct marketing, and refers to the act of sending digital messages for marketing purposes. These email messages inform customers and guests about offers, services, and news and can address individuals (one-to-one) as well as whole groups of persons (one-to-many). Newsletters are a classic example of email marketing.
Email automation takes the matter further, addressing users at a specific time, for instance, on the user’s birthday or when new promotions or new products are available. It is crucial to determine the best frequency to send emails: While newsletters should be sent at regular intervals, email automation implies sending messages on an irregular basis. This form of direct communication between a company and its customers or guests is essential in modern customer care and an important means to increase customer loyalty, generate new customers, and maintain regular customer contact.
Benefits of Email Marketing
- Targeted Communication: By addressing recipients directly, companies can provide relevant information and offers tailored to their individual needs and interests.
- Personalization: Using customer and guest data, personalized emails can be created, providing individualized communication and higher relevance for the recipient.
- Automation: Automated mailings allow companies to send time-triggered emails based on specific events or actions, increasing the efficiency and scalability of email marketing.
- Cost Savings: Compared to traditional marketing channels such as print advertising, email marketing offers a cost-effective way to reach a large audience.
- Measurability and Analysis: Email marketing tools enable measurement and analysis of metrics such as open rates, click-through rates, and other data, allowing companies to evaluate the success of campaigns and optimize future strategies.